Accomplished songwriters join unique art workshop for underserved teens
WriteGirl’s 21st Annual Songwriting Workshop on Saturday, March 19, 2022 will offer non-binary teen and youth girls the opportunity to learn from award-winning singer-songwriters, including nominated songwriters at the GRAMMY and former American Idol judge Kara DioGuardi, GRAMMY-nominated songwriter Shelly Peiken and more than a dozen others. Acclaimed songwriters will be joined by WriteGirl songwriting mentors who will help girls turn their ideas into lyrics in a fun and energizing setting.
This online event will conclude with live virtual performances from some of the special guest songwriters. They will bring their expertise and great energy to the event, transforming the teens’ words into songs before their eyes.
Guest singer-songwriters include GRAMMY-nominated writers and lyricists who have written or collaborated with artists such as Natasha Bedingfield, Jojo, Kelly Rowland, Nick Jonas, One Direction, Diana Ross, Little Mix, Dua Lipa and Ashley Tisdale.
WriteGirl has received national attention over the past year as a nonprofit that helped inaugural poet Amanda Gorman get started.
Saturday, March 19, 2022
Songwriting Workshop: 11:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (PST)
Song Showcase: 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (PST)
The event will take place via Zoom.
The WriteGirl songwriting workshop offers non-binary teens and young people the opportunity to see how their words can become songs. With guidance from acclaimed songwriters and other professional writers, workshop participants can learn about the art of songwriting and see how lyrics become catchy tunes, all in time. real. This workshop is one of 50 WriteGirl season events designed to prepare girls for college and beyond.
Guest singers/songwriters include:
- KARA DIOGUARDIa GRAMMY-nominated songwriter, CEO and co-founder of Arthouse Publishing/Records and music platform Briidge, with appearances on American Idol and Platinum Hit.
- SHELLY PEIKENis a GRAMMY-nominated songwriter known for classic hits like Christina Aguilera’s “What a Girl Wants,” as well as his prominent work in television and film.
- MICHAEL LEWIS is a solo artist and songwriter with decades of experience writing for big name artists like Cher, Little Mix and Katharine McPhee.
- JANICE ROBINSON is a singer-songwriter who has opened for Tina Turner and written songs for artists like Ashley Tisdale and Taylor Dayne.
- CYNTHIA CATANIA is a singer, songwriter and producer whose writing credits include work for Nickelodeon and CBS.
- AUTUMN WHEELsongwriter, vocal coach and DJ with an impressive list of accomplishments, writing for artists like Kylie Minogue, Fifth Harmony and Ava Max.