The Interlochen Collection: Teenage Composers
In this episode of the Interlochen Collection, it is a program of music written by composers when they were teenagers.
Composers include Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Dmitri Shostakovich and even a piece that Jonathan Bailey Holland composed when he was a student at the Academy of Arts in Interlochen.
Music heard in this program
- Felix Mendelssohn, A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Overture; Matthew Hazelwood/Interlochen Arts Academy Orchestra (academic year 1993-94)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Divertimento No. 2 in D major, III: Adagio; IV: Minuet and Trio; V: Adagio; Allegro molto; Allegro assai; Thor Johnson/Interlochen Arts Academy Haydn Orchestra (academic year 1964-1965); Featured Orchestral Instrumentalists: Jean Baxtresser, Flute, Rebecca Patterson, Oboe, Mary Streeter, Bassoon, Robert Carlisle, French Horn, Kendall Betts, French Horn, John Cahill, French Horn, Brian Wenk, French Horn
- Franz Schubert, Magnificat; Brad Richmond / Interlochen Arts Camp High School Concert Choir (July 1998)
- Jonathan Bailey Holland, Untitled (for trumpets, trombones and strings); Byron Hanson / Interlochen Arts Academy Orchestra (academic year 1991-92)
- Dmitri Shostakovich, Symphony No. 1: Lento-Allegretto Molto; Guillermo Figueroa/Interlochen Arts Camp World Youth Symphony Orchestra (July 2018)
The archival recordings heard in this program are made available in part through the Classical Music Preservation Grant from the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, listener support from IPR, and the Hamer D. and Phyllis C Foundation. Shafer.
Michael Culler and Stefan Wiebe provided audio engineering assistance.
Anastasia Scholze provided research and production support.